The Austrian Salzkammergut begins north of Salzburg, only a few kilometres from the Vitalhotel Kobenzl away. The landscape’s character is stamped by the soft foothills of the alps and the numerous lakes. This unique region owes its name to the salt extraction, which dates back to the iron-age and has always brought grand wealth to this region. The heart of the inner Salzkammergut, which extends over the provinces of Upper Austria, Styria and Salzburg are the towns of Bad Ischl, Hallstatt and Bad Aussee.
Especially during the time of the Austrian monarchy the Salzkammergut relished high popularity. Kaiser Franz Josef and his wife Elisabeth – better known as Sisi – came every year to their summer health resort into the Salzkammergut. Like the monarchs many others chose the Salzkammergut as their summer health resort: peers , artists like Gustav Klimt or composers like Franz List, Gustav Mahler as well as Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and his family.
The region around St. Gilgen and St. Wolfgang also developed in the post war period, not without the help of summer guests like the former German Federal Chancellor Helmut Kohl. Our guest like day-trips, which connect leisure and culture.
Our day-trip-tips in the Salzkammergut
- Trip to the picturesque town Mondsee with the beautiful church, known from the world-famous movie Sound of Music
- To the Lehar-Festival in Bad Ischl with a visit of the confectionary Zauner, the Kaiser-Villa or the Kaiser-thermae.
- Trip to the beautiful centre of St. Gilgen with the Mozart-spring, Billroth-memorial and the lake park
- Shipping on the Wolfgangsee, Traunsee, Mondsee or Altausseer-See
- St. Wolfgang: with the historical rack and pinion railway Schafbergbahn on the Schafsberg. From where you can enjoy a wonderful panoramic view over the Salzkammergut. Visit of the historic town centre with a coffee-break in the “Hotel zum Weissen Rössl”
- Trip to the Seeschloss (lake palace) Kammer in Schörfling on the Attersee, a favourite motive of Gustav Kilt
- Trip to Gmunden with a visit at the ceramics museum Gmunden, walk on the esplanade to the Seeschloss (lake palace) Orth
- Day-trip to Hallstatt, a beautifully situated town on the Hallstätter See. The town was accounted to world culture heritage by the UNESCO, the momentous archaeological records influenced the term „Hallstatt-age“